The immune system is made up of a network of cells, tissues and organs that work together to protect the body against infection and maintain overall health. Mushrooms, like other fruits and vegetables, can play a positive role in supporting a healthy immune system.
The 2015-2020 Dietary Guidelines for Americans1 emphasizes the importance of creating a healthy eating pattern to maintain health and reduce the risk of disease. Suggestions include:
• Make half your plate fruits and vegetables.
• Move to low-fat and fat-free milk or yogurt.
• Make half your grains whole grains.
• Focus on whole fruits and vary your vegetables.
• Drink and eat less sodium, saturated fat and added sugars.
• Vary your protein routine.
Nutrients Important for Overall WellnessThere are a variety of micronutrients, as identified by the Linus Pauling Institute at Oregon State University2, that are important for supporting a healthy immune system including selenium and vitamins D and B6, which can be found in mushrooms.